Hard-Boiled Egg, Bacon and Arugula Salad
This brunch favorite combines all the best parts of breakfast with a healthy lunch salad. It's a versatile pick that everyone will love, young or old. Serve with some organic ketchup to kick off the day in style.
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve 2 Tbs. bacon fat)
- water, for boiling
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, sliced
- 5 oz. baby arugula
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 lg. leek, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and sliced thin
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- 2 Tbs. reserved bacon fat
- 1/4 C. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. yellow mustard
- cracked pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat toaster oven/oven to 375 degrees. Layer bacon pieces flat on a baking sheet and cook for about 20-22 minutes, until golden crisp. Be sure to flip bacon once while cooking. Remove to paper towel, crumble and set aside.
- In the meantime place eggs in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover pot and turn off heat. Let sit 14-17 minutes and then drain. Shake eggs in pot to crack and cover with cold water to cool (this also will help peeling the eggs).
- In a small mixing bowl combine reserved bacon fat, cider vinegar, sugar, and mustard and whisk. Assemble salad as desired and drizzle with dressing, then sprinkle with bacon crumbles and cracked pepper.