May the odds be ever in your favor when you attempt the Katniss braid! The Hunger Games Beauty has become a role model for girls everywhere, and wearing her braid may not be the same as toting a bow and arrow, but it’s enough of a girl power statement as such statements go!
Here’s an easy how-to for Katniss’ signature braid.
- Brush your hair to remove any tangles. This is important when doing the basic three-strand braid.
- Gather a thin bunch of hair from the side of your head, about an inch above your ear. Divide into three, equal sections.
- Start weaving with the bottom section, going under (not over) the middle section; repeat with the top section, going under the middle (previously bottom) section.
- Add a thin bundle of hair to the new bottom section, gathered from below it, and weave under the middle section; do the same for the top section and weave under the middle section.
- Keep adding hair to the bottom and top sections as you continue to weave diagonally towards the opposite side of your head and below the opposite ear.
- Continue braiding even after there’s no extra hair to add and until you reach the bottom of the hair. Secure the end with a hair tie.