You don’t have to spend your hard-earned cash on professional manicures to keep your nails looking good. Simply invest in a few affordable items and you can do you very own manicures at home! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to give yourself a classic and beautiful French manicure.
What you need:
-a base coat
-a color coat (usually a transparent pink or beige)
-a top coat
-a tip polish (white or off-white)
What to do:
- Start with clean and unpolished nails. If you have any polish on your nails at all, take some nail polish remover and clean your nails thoroughly.
- Dab a bit of cuticle oil onto your cuticles and gently rub it in. Olive oil can substitute for cuticle oil if you don’t have any.
- File your nails to your desired shape. To learn the right way to file your nails, click here.
- By this point, the cuticle oil should have worked its way into your cuticles and they should feel softer. Dip your fingers into a bowl of warm water and keep them there for about 5 minutes. This will soften your cuticles even more.
- After your cuticles have soaked sufficiently, take a cuticle stick and rub it in small circles around your cuticles. You should gently remove any excess that may be present; don’t be rough, and don’t try to remove it completely. After you’re finished, gently push your cuticles back with the stick.
- Cleanse your hands with soap and water to remove any oil or residue on your hands and nails.
- Apply a clear base coat to each nail.
- Carefully paint the tips of your nails with the white or off-white tip color you have chosen. Brush the polish sideways across the nail in a sweeping motion.
- After the tips have completely dried, apply the color coat over the entire nail. A transparent pale pink or nude is your best bet.
- Apply the top coat after the color has dried.
- Let your nails dry completely. This can take about 15 minutes. If you’d like to speed up the process, you can purchase a bottle of quick-drying nail drops and apply them to your nails.
- If you have any nail polish smudges around your fingers, apply some nail polish remover to a Q-tip and carefully remove the smudges.
Now that your nails are looking gorgeous, it’s time to tend to your toes! Learn how to give yourself a pedicure here!