Stress and swimsuit go together like peanut butter and jelly, but it doesn’t have to be that way. There’s a swimsuit for every body (no pun intended) out there, you just need to do a little bit of research before you commit to a suit that you won’t be pleased with in another few days. We’ve collected our top secrets to choosing the best swimsuit out there for you.
- Be Honest – If you don’t have the body for a teeny tiny bikini, then don’t wear one. Of course, we all want to be that girl on the beach with the pefect hourglass figure, but the truth is, those girls are rare, and most of them basically live in the gym. Be honest and determine what body type you are. The five common ones are Apple, Pear, Round, Hour Glass and Slim/ Athletic. And remember, you fall into two body type categories.
- Set a Price Range – Whether you’re going for $30 or $300, give yourself a range of what you’re willing to spend. It’s overwhelming to go to a store, and not know what you want to spend. It’s also helpful to have a designer in mind if you plan on spending over $75.
- Play Something Up – Before you run to the store and pick the prettiest swimsuit you can find, decide which body features you want to show off, and which you want to keep under wraps. If you love your legs, try a smaller bottom. Likewise if you’re trying to hide your legs, opt for a wrap or a skirt-bottom.
- Fabrics – If you find a swimsuit you’re interested in, take a look at the tag to determine what fabric it is made of. Suits made of 100% cotton may seem stylish, but they may quickly fray once you start wearing it a couple times. In general, the best fabric is mix of cotton and Lycra.
- Buy The Right Size – Don’t be embarrassed if the small or medium isn’t fitting. Purchase a large! No one is going to know what size your swimsuit is anyone. You just want to look your best.
- Color Selection – Even though hot pink may be your favorite color, it might not always be appropriate for your body type or age. If you want to appear slimmer, go for a darker color. If you’re over 40, you don’t just have to wear black. There are tons of ways to spruce up a black suit, with sparkles and fun patterns.
- Be Comfortable – Never by a swimsuit unless you are comfortable walking around in it on the beach or at the pool. If you’re self-conscious while wearing it in the dressing room, it’s probably not the best choice. If you feel bold, try a fun pattern. Mix and matching different colored bottoms and tops can also be trendy. Just remember to be yourself!