If you haven’t worked out in a while, it can be easy to forget how important it is to warm-up. However, it’s crucial to take the time to warm up your muscles and joints before you exercise. If you skip out on a warm-up you put yourself at a much greater risk for injury. Your calf muscles are one of the most important areas of the body to stretch prior to working out.
Calves are composed of two separate muscles that join together at the Achilles tendon, which allow us to flex and flatten our feet when we run, jog, and walk. There are several ways to stretch out these muscles. Here’s our favorite calf stretch:
- Sit with your legs spread out in a V position.
- Bend your right leg, bringing your right foot to your left knee.
- Flex your left food and reach for it with your hands.
- Hold the position for 15-20 seconds.
- Release from the position and repeat with the other side.