After a long day of work, coming home to your favorite reality television show or medical drama can be a comforting way to spend the evening. It’s easy to plan to workout in the evening and then let the rush of fatigue wash over you as you snuggle up to the couch for the next few hours. It’s tough to decide between the comfort of watching your favorite shows and the workout you know you need. No need to choose anymore because Fit&Fab Living has come up with the perfect solution – workout while you watch TV!
A 30-minute television program has about 10 minutes of commercials! You can either workout throughout the duration of the television episode, or if you’re just beginning, start slowly and only workout during commercial breaks. You can gradually increase the time as you feel more comfortable. You can get all the enjoyment out of your shows and still burn calories, too. It does mean that you have to commit to movement during tv time, but we promise you’ll feel a lot better knowing you’ve got the best of both worlds. Try some of these tv workout exercises and you’ll notice the difference in your strength, flexibility and muscle tone.
- If you have a treadmill, this is the easiest way to get in a great cardio workout. Place the treadmill in a spot where you can still see the television or move a smaller television in front of the treadmill and start walking! While you don’t need to be huffing and puffing, you should be walking at a fairly brisk pace. If you’re looking for a challenge, raise the incline! If you don’t have a treadmill, jog in place, do knee raises or jumping jacks. Do any or all of these exercises for 1 minutes intervals on and off until the show’s over.
- Pushups are a great muscle-building exercise. Try them on the floor for the greatest challenge or for a less strenuous option, do pushups standing up against a wall. Do as many as you can until your arms won’t let you do one more!
- Leg lifts are another easy option to tone thighs. Lie on your side with the bottom leg straight and the top leg slightly bent. Lift and lower leg 30 times on each side.
- TV time is the perfect time to get in a killer ab workout. Try these ab exercises to start toning your abs.
- If you’re looking to sculpt your derriere, then do chair squats during commercial breaks. Stand up in front of a couch or chair and then squat down until you are almost sitting, but not quite. Stand back up and repeat for the length of the commercial break.
- Pick up a set of dumbbells and you can really amp up your toning exercises by adding all kinds of arm-toning exercises to your routine.