Now that summer is upon us, every store is filled to the brim with beautiful summer dresses and tops that have a lot less material than those shown in the winter. My solution for this is to switch to a bit of a different exercise routine in warmer months. A new circuit really helps me get the arms and back in check, areas I can sometimes neglect when my daily uniform is sweaters. Read on to learn about my favorite toning exercises!
To help your shoulders, obliques, and triceps...
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder height, elbows bent 90 degrees and palms facing forward.
- Press your right arm up and rotate your torso to the left from your waist while you draw abs in to activate your core; hold for 2 counts.
- Return to the center while lowering weight to your right shoulder.
- Switch sides, alternating 10 times.
- Work up to 3 sets.
For sculpted shoulders...
- Holding a pair of 3- or 5-pound weights, stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Raise your arms to shoulder height and keep your palms facing out.
- As you exhale, straighten your elbows and press your hands overhead.
- As you lift, rotate your palms to face in. Come down and press up again.
- This time, rotating your arms so your palms face out.
- Continue for 8 to 12 reps, alternating your palm rotation with each rep. 7. First, facing your palms in then facing them out. The rotation should come from your shoulders, not your wrists.
For the backs of your arms...
- Lie face down on the floor with your palms near your chest.
- Lift your head, shoulders, and chest off the floor, pulling your shoulder blades down and together.
- Hold here for 2 counts and then lower back down.
- Repeat this 8 to 10 times. The Cobra works your core, triceps, and back. For a more difficult exercise, try lifting your thighs and hips off the floor.
Do you do specific exercises to prepare for certain occasions or outfits?