It’s a well-known fact but still bears repeating: exercise is good for you! It offers benefits for both the body and mind. And you can start reaping the benefits of exercise no matter what stage in your life you decide to adopt and commit to an exercise routine.
Here are the key benefits of regular exercise:
- Weight control. Whether you’re trying to shed excess pounds or maintain a healthy weight, regular exercise is key to controlling the amount of calories you burn to achieve your weight goal.
- Strengthen bones and muscles. This becomes even more important as the body ages and becomes susceptible to loss of bone density and muscle mass.
- Reduce heart disease risk. Exercise makes the heart stronger through increased blood flow and optimal levels of oxygen throughout the body. Maintaining a healthy weight through exercise is also an important factor in reducing risk of developing heart disease.
- Manage blood sugar and insulin levels. Regular exercise keeps blood sugar at low levels and helps insulin work better.
- Improve mental health and mood. During exercise, the body releases feel-good chemicals. Being fit also has a positive effect on one’s self-esteem and mindset. Additionally, engaging in physical activity is known to keep stress, anxiety, and even depression at bay.
- Maintain cognitive health. Studies have shown that exercise improves brain structure and function, even as you age.
- Improve quality of sleep and sexual health.
- Increase longevity with lifelong good health.
To maximize the benefits of exercise, get the recommended amount for your age and overall condition. It also has to be a lifetime commitment and this can be done by making regular exercise a part of your overall lifestyle.