This recipe is one of our all-time favorite cookie recipes. As opposed to traditional sugar cookies, this recipe is made with whole-wheat flour, egg whites, and other light ingredients. Even though Valentine’s Day is usually filled with sweets and tempting treats, this recipe will allow you to enjoy a sweet dessert without over doing it!
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- In a medium mixing bowl mix flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, and salt. Once combined, set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Add in the egg white, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture until completely combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and combine completely. The dough should become light and fluffy.
- Roll the dough into a ball, and place in a clean bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Dust your counter or work area with flour and turn out the chilled dough.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it reaches about 1/4 inch thickness. Be sure not to make the dough too thin, otherwise they will burn in the oven.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Use cookie cutters to cut heart shapes in the dough. Carefully transfer the cookies to the baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown lightly. Remove from oven and cool for at least 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Whisk the icing ingredients together and place in a pastry bag. If you don’t have a pastry bag, just use a plastic zippered bag and cut off a small part of the corner.
- Decorate the cookies as you wish. Feel free to add sprinkles and any other candies to decorate your Valentine’s Day cookies!