Not only does angel food taste delicious, it is also fat free! These cupcakes are 87 calories without the icing and 122 with icing.
- 1/2 C. confectioners sugar
- 1/2 C. granulated sugar
- 2/3 C. cake flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 C. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 C. water
- ½ C. sugar
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a muffin tin and line with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the confectioner’s sugar, cake flour, and salt.
- Mix together the egg whites, water, vanilla extract, and cream of tartar in a separate bowl.
- Mix on low speed until foamy, then on medium speed and gradually add the granulated sugar in 1 tablespoon increments.
- When all the sugar has been added, turn the speed to high and beat until medium peaks form.
- Sift half of the dry ingredients through a fine mesh strainer into the egg whites. Fold in carefully.
- Fold in the second half of the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 18 minutes until the tops are slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
For the icing:
- Place the egg whites and vanilla in a bowl.
- Whisk the water and sugar together.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the syrup reaches 234 degrees.
- While the sugar syrup is boiling, whip the egg whites on low speed until they form foamy peaks.
- When the syrup has reached 234 degrees, drizzle it into the egg whites, turning the speed to medium-high.
- Whip until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Beat in the salt.
- Fill a piping bag and frost cupcakes.