Craving Italian? This meal is sure to satisfy your stomach and your taste buds. This light sauce is full of flavor, but won’t weigh you down with additives and unwanted calories. Not only does this dish taste great, it’s also incredibly simple to make!
- 2 cups whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. red-wine vinegar
- 1 8 oz. can tomato puree
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. basil, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add garlic and onions and saute until the onions become transparent; set aside.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta until 1 minute short of al dente.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, and cook until tender and pasta is al dente, 1 minute more.
- Drain pasta and tomatoes, rinse under cold water, and drain again; transfer to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, and tomato puree.
- Add garlic, onions, salt, and pepper.
- Add pasta and tomatoes, then toss until combined and serve immediately.