Here is one of my favorite meatless meals. While this recipe can be served as a side dish to accompany a large meal, I prefer to eat it as a main course. This dish is loaded with veggies and lentils, which makes it incredibly filling. Give it a try tonight, and save the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
- 16 oz. fresh spinach
- 4 med. green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger root
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 14-oz. cans vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup dried lentils (12 oz.), rinsed
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Spray 3-quart saucepan with cooking spray.
- Add onions, ginger root, red pepper and garlic; cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in 5 cups of the broth, the lentils, turmeric and salt. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, adding remaining broth if needed, until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach, tomato, and red pepper flakes.
- Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the spinach wilts.
- Serve and enjoy!