This hearty Irish stew will warm you right up if the weather still has not let up by the time March 17 comes around. It is delicious and can be made with beef, pork or lamb meat, just make sure to match up the meat and broth.
- 1 lbs. beef (or pork or lamb), cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 7 oz. canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp. parsley – chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 3 med carrots, cut in thirds
- 3 med onions, cut in thirds
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed, optional
- Parmesan cheese, to taste, optional
- Add beef broth, water, parsley, salt and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions and carrots; simmer 30 minutes additional, or until beef is tender. Meanwhile, prepare Holiday Potatoes.
- Place stew in ovenproof serving dish.
- Spoon potatoes over stew, sprinkle with peas and Parmesan to taste, optional.
- Run under broiler until potatoes are lightly browned.