This traditionally Irish dish is perfect for your celebration. It certainly yields more food more easily, just double or quadruple the recipe easily and share as much as you want.
- 2 lb. corned brisket of beef
- 1 onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cloves, whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 potatoes, small to medium, pared
- 3 carrots, small, pared
- 3 onions, small, pared
- 1/2 cabbage, medium, cut in wedges
- Place brisket in a Dutch oven and barely cover with hot water.
- Add onion, garlic, cloves and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer (do not boil) for two hours, or until fork tender.
- Remove meat from liquid.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cover.
- Bring to boiling and cook for 8 minutes.
- Then add cabbage wedges and whole onions and continue cooking 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.