Turkey meat is one of the healthiest meats around! Try this pulled turkey barbecue sandwich recipe with your leftover turkey to make a satisfying meal the whole family will love!
What you’ll need for the slaw:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
What you’ll need for the barbecue sauce:
- 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/3 cups shredded cooked turkey (light and dark meat)
- 4 soft rolls (such as onion, egg, sesame, or whole wheat)
To prepare the slaw, combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and celery seeds in a bowl and mix well with a whisk or fork. Season with salt and pepper. Toss in the cabbage. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to chill. You can prepare this a day ahead.
For the barbecue sauce, cook bacon in a nonstick pan over medium heat until crisp and brown. Add tomato puree, apple cider vinegar, water, brown sugar, chili powder, and ground cumin. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded cooked turkey to the sauce, increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fill toasted buns or rolls with the turkey in barbecue sauce and slaw.