Nothing warms us up on a chilly winter day like a bowl of hearty stew. Unlike most stew recipes, this one won’t make you break your diet!
We make this recipe with turkey kielbasa for a healthy alternative. Try it out for yourself!
- 1/4 lb. French green lentils
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/4 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/8 C. tomato paste
- 1 lb. turkey kielbasa, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and sliced 1/3-inch thick
- 2 tbsp. dry red wine
- In a small bowl, cover lentils with boiling water and let sit 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme and sauté for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken stock, tomato paste, and the drained lentils.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and uncover to simmer for an hour.
- Add turkey kielbasa and red wine. Cook until kielbasa warms through.