Stuffed cabbage is a staple in my kitchen throughout the winter months. But instead of sticking with the usual beef-filled recipe, I decided to make a vegetarian version too. After tweaking my recipe a few times, I have finally perfected it! And I must say, I like it better than the original recipe.
Try out this simple vegetarian recipe and let your crockpot do the hard work for you!
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- Remove 15 large outer leaves from the cabbage.
- Immerse the leaves in a large pot of boiling water for about two minutes or until the outsides are limp but the stalk is still slightly firm.
- Pat the leaves dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the red pepper flakes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar until combined. Keep warm.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, pepper, rice, onion, garlic, and egg.
- Spoon a generous amount of the mix into the cabbage and roll closed, tuck in the sides. (Be careful not to overfill, as the rice will expand during cooking and could break the leaves.)
- Lay the cabbage rolls into your slow cooker and turn it on low. Gently pour the tomato sauce mixture over the cabbage rolls and cook on low for 6-8 hours.