Here’s a simple and easy to follow recipe when you’re craving delicious brown soda bread. Though you may have some reservations about buttermilk, it might do well to remember that it is actually healthy for us. It contains macro and micronutrients as well as probiotics. Its use alongside baking soda allows for this bread to turn out light and fluffy without the use of yeast.
- 2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp. rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly grease one or two baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole-wheat flour, white flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt.
- Gently mix in the buttermilk until a soft dough is formed.
- Knead very lightly.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces; form into rounded flat loaves.
- Mark each loaf with an ‘X’ and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30-45 minutes.