When we over-snack, we usually do so without thinking about it. But to avoid over snacking, we definitely have to set our minds to it! Here are the most effective ways to avoid over snacking.
- Choose smaller packages so you can consciously stop once your snack is gone, and then you can also make the conscious decision not to open another pack.
- Use smaller plates to trick your eyes and brain that you’re eating a lot. This is also a great way to practice portion control.
- Out of sight, out of mind – so store unhealthy snacks inside your kitchen cabinets, at the back of the fridge, or in containers that are not clear/see-through.
- Eat slowly to give your body time to release the hormones that promote feelings of fullness.
- Do not stockpile food. If you see/know that you have a lot of your favorite snacks, the more likely that you’ll eat overeat.
- Avoid distractions, like the TV, computer, or your phone, while snacking so you can concentrate more on how much you’re eating.
- If you don’t have it, you won’t eat it. Fill your fridge and pantry with the healthiest snacks so you won’t have any choice but the healthy choice when you feel like snacking.